Acne can be annoying.
Some people are lucky that they would never have to go through acne issues, but most of us would have to deal with it. There are so many treatments and ideas concerning acne out there to the point that it is not easy to distinguish the legitimate information from the false ones.
If you read on, you will learn a few things that you should know about hormonal acne.
Read Also: 5 Things That Can Cause Butt Acne
What is Hormonal Acne?
As the name would suggest, hormonal acne are those that are caused in some way or another by hormones. Most acne would fall under this category. There are three causes of acne in a general sense:
- hyperactive sebaceous gland
The last two causes can be traced in some way to the hormones in the body. The outbreak of acne in adults is mostly caused by hormones. Ovulation in women, for example, can affect hormones in the body and that can have an effect on the outbreak of acne.
Androgen is a hormone that increases in the body during puberty. This kind of hormone causes the sebaceous glands to become larger than normal. It also causes the production of sebum to increase which leads to the outbreak of acne.
Hormonal acne is very common among women. It is estimated that of the who are women aged from 20 to 29, half of them suffer from hormonal acne. The number goes down as the women get older but, there is still a connection.
Five Things You Should Know About Hormonal Acne
Here are five important things that you should know about hormonal acne:
- Acne, when it happens to younger people tend to occur in the T-area of the face. This is the part of the face that covers the forehead, the nose, and the chin. If you have had problems with acne when you were younger, that is probably where your acne breakouts happened. For adults, hormonal acne usually happens in the chin, jawline, and the mouth.
- Do you notice that you often develop cystic bumps that are quite painful? You should not be worried because of that. Cystic bumps are commonly produced by hormonal acne. You should never try to pick hormonal acne, especially those that develop large bumps that are painful. There is a good chance that it will leave a noticeable scar on your skin.
- If you are having problems with hormonal acne, you have probably opted for some over-the-counter topical treatments. Unfortunately, those types of treatment would not really do anything for hormonal acne. Remember that the problem is within your body. Since it’s the hormones inside your body that are causing the outbreak, topical treatments might not have the desired effect. The acne outbreak is just a symptom of whatever is causing it.
- There are tests that can determine your hormone level if you have an imbalance. By undergoing those tests, a doctor will be able to provide you with the right kind of treatment. This is important because issues with hormone levels would also come with other conditions like weight gain and even hair growth.
- If all the other treatments that you undergo do not do anything for your hormonal acne, then there’s a good chance that your diet could be the culprit. Try removing certain types of food from your diet and see what that will do to your acne.
Natural Treatment for Hormonal Acne
Though it has been mentioned that topical treatments may not work when dealing with hormonal acne, there are alternatives. The ones that you should try out first are the natural treatments. Here are some that you should consider:
1. Tea Tree Oil
No one will doubt about the naturalness of tea tree oil. It’s great for treating acne because it helps to reduce inflammation which can make acne worse. This is one of the reasons why many skin care products contain tea tree oil in some form. Just remember to dilute tea tree oil with some other oil.
2. Green Tea
You are probably aware about the natural qualities of green tea that makes it great for your health. The great thing about green tea is that you can use it as a topical treatment or you can drink it. There are lotions and other skin-care products that contain green tea.
3. Alpha Hydroxy Acid
This does not sound very natural but it is. Alpha hydroxy acid is an acid actually comes mainly from citrus fruits. AHA is great for acne because it helps to remove dead skin cells. On top of that, it can help reduce skin scars produced by acne.
Whether your acne outbreak is caused by hormones or not, the best way to deal with it is through natural means. These treatments would get you the best results, and would also protect you from some nasty side effects.
About the Author: Lisa Brown has been helping her readers in successful business and entrepreneurial strategies for the past 3 years. She currently works with uae.ekuep.com, which is the answer to UAE’s growing restaurant industry. Ekuep is the brand that restaurants, bakeries, cafes, juice bars, and more turn to when they want to stock their kitchens with only the best restaurant equipment.