HIIT (high-intensity interval training) is a workout technique in which a person gives his best, 100% efforts through fast, intense bursts of workouts.
These workouts are followed by short, sometimes active periods meant to facilitate recovery. HIIT workouts keep the heart rate high and burn-up large amount of fat in little time.
Intensive anaerobic workouts are alternately done with less intensive periods to recover. In HIIT workouts for weight loss, glucose metabolism in the body gears up together with improvement in overall athleticism. Due to which, body’s metabolism rate fastens up, ending up in a fat burning HIIT workout.
HIIT Workout Plan for Weight Loss
A solid plan for fat burning HIIT workout, practiced sincerely is a great aid in losing weight. Before scheduling HIIT workouts for fat loss make sure that your health is good enough for vigorous activities. Can you do HIIT everyday? How much HIIT per week? Which will be the best HIIT workout for fat loss? These are the questions which need to be answered.
Then, interval workout plan in a well-designed exercise program is to be included. It means that a person must have taken proper rest before going to the workout and a recovery day (not a rest day!) is needed after doing it.
Back-to-back HIIT workouts for fat loss can be hazardous. Though it’s surprising, but it can make even the best HIIT workouts ineffective.
At the end, a practitioner needs to have a stopwatch and adopt a method to monitor how many calories does HIIT burn? A heart rate monitor does well. Smart watches and similar gadgets can also serve the purpose.
Interval workouts are effective for fat burning HIIT workout. It simply means that short periods of hard work are alternatively practiced with shorter periods of light work. Such cycles are repeated several times in the best HIIT workout for weight loss.
In many studies conducted recently, exercise physiologists have pointed towards work intervals that lasted just 2 minutes; these were followed by rest intervals lasting for 3 minutes. Such cycles can be repeated 5 times.
Intervals can be adjusted depending on several factors like health, age, type of body and diet etc. Usually, the interval time is inversely proportional to the intensity. It is to be remembered that in an HIIT workout plan for weight loss, its intensity, which is the key and not the duration of workout.
Once a practitioner chooses interval length and workout schedule, it’s time to find your favorite activity for the workout, it can be running, cycling etc.
Make sure that you do interval training, with 7-10 minutes of a steady state warm-up. It’s always better to do a less strenuous version of activity you chose for workout. If you chose to go for running intervals, your warm-up can be a light jog or a fast walk.
10 Best HIIT Cardio Workouts to Lose Weight
1) Burpees: engage all muscles in the body. They alternatively tax your whole body, burn calories, and require minimal equipment.
2) High Knees: the main purpose of this workout is to take the knees as high as you possibly can. High knees combine the typical running motion with exaggerated knee lifts. This is one of the best HIIT workouts for fat loss. Lower abs, quads, glutes and calves are targeted in particular.
3) Lunge jumps or split jumps: are a variation of lunges which add a cardiovascular element to the exercise. It is a high fat burning HIIT workout which works on calves, quads, adductors, hip flexors and core etc.
4) Jumping Jacks: (up and out) can be modified as well, making them HIIT workout. They are not as exhaustive. Jumping jacks are fun and non-exhausting. They target calves, quads, hamstrings, adductors and hip flexors etc.
5) Mountain climbers: work on primary and secondary muscles. It is a killer exercise in which the heart rate goes up very fast and nearly every muscle group in the body is fired up. Lower abs, upper abs, obliques, shoulders and triceps etc. are affected.
6) Explosive Lunges: improve plyometrics, stability, balance and symmetry, the stability of the core muscles and the flexibility of the hip flexors.
7) Incline Sprint: means changing the angle of the treadmill to simulate steep walking or running. It elevates the heart rate into the fat burning zone. It results into a solid calorie burn.
8) Renegade Rows: are one of the best torso exercises. It is a versatile, compound exercise that triggers muscle growth, improves performance and attacks a weak core.
9) Russian Twist: is one of the best HIIT cardio workouts that strengthen all parts of your abdominals, including your obliques, for a toned waistline and a stronger back.
10) Side Jackknife: exercise really squeezes your obliques as you lift your legs. Great for your abs!
Gains of HIIT
- It burns more calories
- Rate of metabolism stays high even after workout
- High fat burning during and post workout
- Workouts last for shorter duration
- Helps in losing belly fat
- Lead to muscle gain
- It can lead to reduced heart rate and blood pressure
- Blood sugar levels in the body can be lowered by HIIT
Guidelines and Caution for HIIT Workouts for Weight Loss
- Always warm up before you start these intense workouts.
- These workouts depend on age, diet, health condition and illnesses. Practice varies from person-to-person. Set up your own workout plan, depending on these factors.
- There must be regular intervals during workouts for weight loss.
- HIIT weight loss program results will also vary and depend on factors discussed above.
- Judge your present fitness level and set goals which are realistic.
- Bring down your heart rate to 100-110 beats per minute, during the rest interval.
- Mix these HIIT workouts with traditional cardio to get the best results.
- Consult a coach or a trainer.
- HIIT is an intense and challenging workout. It is best to start with a less intense activity, if your lifestyle has lacked activity.
Go out, workout and bring out the best in you!