Everyone’s constantly looking for ways to enjoy their favorite foods without adding to the scale. An all-time favorite that can really do a number on the waistline is potato chips. Like many other fattening treats, there’s a way to enjoy a healthier version of potato chips that will satisfy those cravings without piling on the calories. Crunchy sweet potato chips can easily be made at home in the air fryer with just a few simple steps.
Choosing an Air Fryer
With air fryers gaining in popularity, it can be difficult to choose which one to buy. If you haven’t already purchased an air fryer, doing your research prior to buying can save you both time and money. There are many phenomenal options available, from ones that come with preset buttons and digital touchscreens to fryers that hold up to two pounds of food at once.
The Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potato chips can be made in any air fryer, as long as you work in small batches to ensure each chip is crispy. The benefits of using sweet potatoes versus regular potatoes are numerous. Sweet potatoes are rich in many vitamins and minerals, including:
- Beta-carotene: The body converts beta-carotene into vitamin A, which benefits the skin, eyes, and immune system.
- Vitamin B5: Also known as Pantothenic Acid, vitamin B5 stimulates hormones, helps relieve stress, and provides support to the heart, skin, hair, and overall immune system.
- Vitamin B6: The other name for vitamin B6 is Pyridoxine, which helps keep the skin, liver, and eyes healthy. It also helps regulate a person’s mood in addition to being a cure for anemia.
- Manganese: This mineral helps regulate blood sugar levels, keeps the metabolism running, relieves inflammation in the body, and promotes healthy bones.
- Vitamin C: Known for its power to support the immune system, vitamin C also helps prevent heart disease, eye problems, and skin issues.
If the health benefits of sweet potatoes aren’t enough to convince you to try air fryer sweet potato chips, the taste surely will. Sweet potatoes first appeal to the eye with their bright, orange color. When fried, their texture easily rivals the crispiness of a regular potato chip. Their sweet taste makes them the perfect accompaniment to several different herbs and spices, both sweet and savory. They are marvelous on their own but also equally delectable when dunked in a tasty dip.
Prepping Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
Now that your mouth is watering, let’s get down to the details on how to make these glorious air fryer sweet potato chips. When looking for crispy sweet potato chips, the thinner they are sliced the better. This helps guarantee that each part of the sweet potato gets cooked evenly, resulting in the ultimate, crunchy sweet potato chip.
Thinly sliced sweet potatoes can be achieved in several different ways. You can use a very sharp knife to carefully slice them by hand, although that can be a bit time-consuming. A food processor used with the slicer attachment is a great alternative and helps ensure even slices each and every time. Another option is a mandoline slicer, which is a kitchen tool that uses a sharp blade tucked inside of an elongated platform that evenly slices vegetables as they glide over the top of it.
Once you have a pile of thinly sliced sweet potato chips, you’ll need to soak them in a bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes, or overnight if possible. This helps draw out the starch from the sweet potato which aids in keeping them separated while they fry so that each chip comes out perfectly crisp.
When you’re ready to cook, remove the sweet potato chips from the water and thoroughly pat them dry on a clean dish rag or paper towel. Repeat this process several times until all of the water is removed and the sweet potato chips are completely dry.
Cooking Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
Once the chips are dry, toss them with your choice of oil and seasonings. Olive oil works great, but vegetable oil, canola oil, and peanut oil are other options. Depending on the taste you’re going for, some seasoning possibilities include:
- Salt and pepper.
- Garlic powder.
- Smoked paprika.
- Dried herbs like rosemary, oregano, or thyme.
For this basic recipe, we’ll be using olive oil, salt, and pepper. After the chips are coated with the seasonings, you’ll need to prepare the air fryer. Grease the air fryer with cooking spray and set the heat to 390 degrees. Place a handful of sweet potato chips into the air fryer and cook them for 20 minutes, shaking the basket every 6 to 7 minutes to ensure even cooking. If after 20 minutes the chips aren’t as crisp as you’d like, cook them for an additional 5 minutes. They are delicious on their own or served with ketchup.
Complete Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
- 3 thinly sliced sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray to coat the air fryer
- Thinly slice the sweet potatoes with a sharp knife, food processor, or mandoline.
- Soak the sweet potato slices in water for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Dry the slices thoroughly with a clean dish rag or paper towel.
- Toss the slices with the oil and seasonings until thoroughly coated.
- Grease and set the air fryer to 390 degrees.
- Cook the slices a handful at a time, shaking the air fryer basket every 6 to 7 minutes, for a total of 20 minutes. Add an additional 5 minutes of cook time if they are not the desired crispness.
- Serve plain or with your favorite dipping sauce.
I am sure that this post gives you more reasons to cook sweet potato chips and shows you the right way to cook them at home.