An average household today has much more toxins that it had just a decade ago. The lifestyle has changed so much and become much more dependent on their use, which has made us all more vulnerable.
There are ways to deal with this problem and they are mostly about setting up rules in your household that are designed to minimize the exposure to toxins. Most of the time, this means your family will lead a healthier life overall by sticking to the products that are natural and organic.
Pesticides are probably the toxin that most households have to deal with because they are used on almost all fruits or vegetables. The only way to avoid them is to make sure that you buy your produce from a reliable source that grows its garden organically.
There are numerous ways pesticides can affect your body depending on what pesticides are used, how they are used and how much vegetables you consume. Most of the time, the problems come down to eye irritation or throat issues, but long-term exposure can cause serious diseases like Parkinson’s or even cancer.
Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs)
These chemicals have been a part of everyday house items for decades now. They are very popular because they are used as flame-retardants. However, after a prolonged exposure, the chemical can cause a lot of complicated health problems. At this point, PBDEs are still used to make kitchen appliances and children’s clothes, as well as a variety of other products such as furniture.
The exposure to these chemicals can cause a variety of health problems, ranging from learning disability to hormonal insufficiency. In some cases, it also causes pregnancy problems as well as a lower sperm count.
Chloroform is used to keep the water clean. It’s added to both drinking water and swimming pools. When it’s mixed with water, it’s called chlorine and it can’t be detected since it has no color, no flavor or scent.
Longer exposure to this chemical usually causes minor problems such as fatigue or a headache. In some cases, however, it goes way beyond that and those exposed might experience kidney problems or even reproductive problems. Try using low-pressure showers and faucets and drying your clothes in a well-ventilated room to minimize the risk.
Mold is usually found in old homes that don’t have enough natural sunlight and aren’t dry. This means that some rooms are more exposed to having it than others. It’s usually the basements and attics that have mold problems. If these are also used to store things, you might be at risk.
It causes numerous breathing problems, especially for those people that are allergic. After a while, it can affect the entire immune system, which means that even common illnesses such as colds can become pretty dangerous for those exposed to mold and other fungi.
Asbestos was used in the construction industry since the 1950s. It’s a popular material because it’s a good insulator which makes it useful in the Australian climate. However, since the 1980s, there were discoveries about its harmful impact, mostly related to lung disease and other respiratory problems.
If you’re living in an old building and find traces of asbestos, you might need to remove it altogether. Professional asbestos removal in Melbourne can take a while and require you to stop using the premises for a while.
A lot of dangerous toxins can be found in ordinary household items. Keep track of what you buy and try to use organic products as much as possible.